Excerpt from The Essex County Republican, April 14, 1852:
The Franklin Falls Stage Line had extended their line of stages in the 1880’s to the Saranac Lakes, to accommodate the large and increasing travel to the celebrated sporting grounds. There was a continuous line of stages from Port Kent to the Saranac Lakes. Extra teams were always in readiness at the Fork[s] to carry passengers to and from the Lakes whenever they wished to go, at Stage Fare.
The stagecoach barn in Au Sable Forks was used to rest the horses between the runs. The boards are distressed by the years, with square headed nail holes, actual nails, knicks, and dents. Beautiful patina.